Passed mot but lacks power a lot of black smoke on use

· 17 · 3583

Lurch032003

• Name: John wilkie
Passed mot but lacks power a lot of black smoke on use
« on: October 02, 2016, 01:08:51 AM »
Okay it's passed the mot my 2.5n/a engine in my series 3 , its lacks drive power a lot of black smoke under load nearly getting to 30-40downhill , I know the engine history is unknown but I did gave the garage check and tune her prior to mot but I'm leaving a black smoke trail behind me.
Tomorrow will recheck wheels for binding but upon drive about ten miles all the hubs where still cold ?? They did work on handbrake something to free it up but wondering if they have done a bad job as upon stopping it had like a burning smell of plastic which seems to be coming from the handbrake area again will check this out but I'm convinced it's could be that as engine sounds and feels strong in first and second just , third it's fighting to get up to speed then forth unless even road it starts to die, I know from having the 2:25 5 bearing before this is not how it should be so any other advice etc welcome as as is it not going to be getting used much until sorted so I can at least get to filthy to keep up with traffic and hopfully reduce the load smoke trails not that I mind as its stopping getting tail chases as there keeping there distance lol .
Cheers
John
I'm not lost I'm just slow getting there.

OldJocksRustbucket

Re: Passed mot but lacks power a lot of black smoke on use
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 09:49:48 PM »
Hi John

Does it smoke when your stopped and just reving the engine up?

If is yes then it suggests somethings not right with either the fuel pump or the injector set up, you said the garage did a tune up, did they alter the pump settings by any chance? Check the air filters not blocked or somethings stuck in the inlet pipe.

If no then its most likely your handbrake is binding, try slackening the adjuster back a few turns, see if it will move freely on a slight slope.

Hope you get on ok
Jock

Lurch032003

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 10:14:51 PM »
Hi John

Does it smoke when your stopped and just reving the engine up?

If is yes then it suggests somethings not right with either the fuel pump or the injector set up, you said the garage did a tune up, did they alter the pump settings by any chance? Check the air filters not blocked or somethings stuck in the inlet pipe.

If no then its most likely your handbrake is binding, try slackening the adjuster back a few turns, see if it will move freely on a slight slope.

Hope you get on ok
Jock
Hi jock ,
Went out today to check everything , handbrake free movement no feel of any resistance on it and is holding well when applied. Check other brakes adjusted and readjusted just to make sure , no smoke on idle or very little till warm , slight puff on Rev but clears , I've fitted a snorkel today to it as had one and thought why not I own it no one else and it's mine to do as I wish lol but I checked pipe for any collapse etc it's a pretty new one fitted and engine growls now when rev up to be honest I like the sound , sounds very beefy , the injection pump I tested by having the foot peddle fully depressed and it was a full before full peddle was reached so have backed of the limit bolt a few turns to see if this will allow full flow of fuel thus it giving more power ??? I know diesel diff from petrol in this respect as once full throttle pressed it only gives full flow of fuel but won't know till tomorrow how it performs as was knackered so stopped for the day.
The garage all I know is they did the tap out but unknown if they adjusted the pump in anyway so going to be hit or miss till I find out.
I have anther 2.5 waiting to be built up plus the 2:25 plus other still to all be worked on so have options just want to get through winter then when better weather may pull it out and give it a good going over as I suspect with the lack of power to drive that something is just not right if you get my drift other than a fuel or timing problem ,,, pistons , piston rings , wear of parts bore etc just something just not quite right anyways if I can get through winter with her I be happy chappey it's not like I will be looking to enter the indie 5000 with her yet but do want to get there a bit better than I'm getting .
Thanks for advice will let you know how I get on .
Cheers
John

OldJocksRustbucket

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 10:27:31 PM »
Hi John
From what you've done so far it would appear the engine seems fine if its not belching out black smoke when you rev it up while stationary, keep checking John its got to be something thats causing drag somewhere by the sounds of it,
Jock

Lurch032003

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 09:52:36 PM »
Hi John
From what you've done so far it would appear the engine seems fine if its not belching out black smoke when you rev it up while stationary, keep checking John its got to be something thats causing drag somewhere by the sounds of it,
Jock
Still chasing round and round , I'm thinking its brakes somewhere catching as was moving it today in the soon to be drive at and even little movement felt and heard a squeal of pads catching drums so now to find once again which one lol don't you just love old landrover brakes ?? Saying that once there sorted there great if your use to them but it just takes ine to be off to cause so much grief , I will get to the bottom if it maybe tomorrow will post up finding or if I get it sorted .

OldJocksRustbucket

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 07:44:40 PM »
Hi John, got to be something like a brake binding holding it back causing the engine to work hard and blow out the black reek. Your getting there keep checking one corner at a time.
Jock

Lurch032003

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 09:33:20 PM »
 :o not sure whats going on all wheels free to turn in both directions little or no resistance on them but all lock on when pedal pressed and free to turn after pedal released so its back to engine i go, going to take her for a wee run to see if its just needing a good hard drive to clear her throat and free up anything that's been sticking as it has sat for quite along time so will have to wait and see worse case scenario is the engine is very tired and needs a major overhaul.
right im off to rest up ,laters all.

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 09:44:49 PM »
I had a similar problem turned out to be a diaphragm in the pump cost £20 but sorted it does the fuel tan pressurise after a drive ??

1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

DRH

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 09:10:36 AM »
Hi John

If it's fitted with the pump you got from me you should be able to eliminate that as the source of the problem.  I took it off my n/a when I changed it for a 300tdi.  The only reason I was making the change was that the n/a was leaking oil all over the place but it pulled like a train with no smoke. 

Unlike what others have experienced that n/a went really well and if hadn't been for all the leaks and that I had a 300tdi sitting, I wouldn't have changed it.

Hope this at least helps eliminate that.

Regards Duncan

Lurch032003

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 05:01:17 PM »
Hi John

If it's fitted with the pump you got from me you should be able to eliminate that as the source of the problem.  I took it off my n/a when I changed it for a 300tdi.  The only reason I was making the change was that the n/a was leaking oil all over the place but it pulled like a train with no smoke. 

Unlike what others have experienced that n/a went really well and if hadn't been for all the leaks and that I had a 300tdi sitting, I wouldn't have changed it.

Hope this at least helps eliminate that.

Regards Duncan
Hi Duncan ,
Your quite correct it's nothing to do with the pump you sold me it's working perfect and really glad you had it for sale , I took the Landy fir test run up to my mother's and it got plenty power but it was like going up a very steep hill all the way there ??? So once I manged to move the Motorhome out of the drive I started going forward and back using differant gears and two to four and high to low several times , the front two hubs hot and rear passenger getting hot , drivers side rear cool as a button and transmission brake also cool so now it up at my mother's I can get it fully jack up off all wheels and carefully get round each and every wheel off and adjusted till there's no binding as if you can imagine going about 30mph and jet of black smoke say going up the steepest hill then that's how it was third gear all the way foot to the metal !! So now I've git next few days of sorting it all out once and for all cause as I said on idle there's little to no smoke then hit the accelerator a puff of black then clear which is norm but put it into drive instant resistance and black smoke under load plus I was getting up to 15-20 mph let go of accelerator going forward or back and no brakes needed it came to as stop so at long last and the most common fault everyone faces is the brakes on these needed done , the lads are all chamfered front and rear , all brake cylinders are new and not sized and springs all on correctly so it's down to adjusting the cams on each and I happen to have two on each wheel to adjust correctly oh the joys of Landy ownership and I would not have it any other way as its become a life saver having the landys To work on .
Anyways now I know it time to get my stuff together ready for starting tomorrow on them will post up soon as I've got them sorted but again thankyou Duncan and everyone who has help me get this far with her .
John

Lurch032003

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 10:51:08 PM »
Well I'm still working in adjusting the brakes, master cylinder and still they are binding , I jacked up both ends , stuck her in 4wd and let her run all wheels turn when Rev but just engine front passenger turns and rear passenger turns freely , if I stop the other side turns freely but soon as I let go they stop. In 2wd rear same happens , , I adjusted the master cylinder to free it off more thinking it was adjuster up to far hence pedals was on a bit and front cam snails have been backed off completly so you would think there would be no resistance but there still is :-( but not as bad as it was and suspect after a road test tomorrow this will be it sorted fingers crossed I hope .
As with it being passed by garage I not sure how but binding brakes where Alwalys a fail ??? Plus it was driving like I was going up a sheer cliff face with towing twenty tons hence the black smoke under load belching out even on a flat road pedal to the metal in third gear trying to get up to thirty mph and get her off the road before I gassed the folk behind me or made the road un-usable behind me with the black smoke trail plus using I imagine four times as much diesel per second as I should be !
If anything by time I get this sorted it will be time for its next mot !! Lmao this is just not right to be happening to me like this !
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 10:53:12 PM by Lurch032003 »

OldJocksRustbucket

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 08:43:12 AM »
Hi John, your getting there, sounds like the wheels and drums are ok, what you describe with the wheels turning in drive one side stops and the other side works ok is fine, thats the diff working sending drive to the side with least resistance, check the handbrake again John, i had a problem with mine once when the drum was adjusted up too far,  it was ok when stationary but when on the road under load it was binding at times, backed off the adjustment on the drum and also the cable and it was fine after that.
Cheers
Jock

Lurch032003

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 03:00:13 AM »
Hi John, your getting there, sounds like the wheels and drums are ok, what you describe with the wheels turning in drive one side stops and the other side works ok is fine, thats the diff working sending drive to the side with least resistance, check the handbrake again John, i had a problem with mine once when the drum was adjusted up too far,  it was ok when stationary but when on the road under load it was binding at times, backed off the adjustment on the drum and also the cable and it was fine after that.
Cheers
Jock
Hi mate , I may just have to back off the handbrake as all wheels now running okay with new master cylinder fitted but always is a but ! Took for test drive feels like she wants to race but just not getting it there so handbrake may well be next to be back off to see if like you say it when driven it's still catching but okay on standstill , but it was nice to finally get her up to 50 plus coming along same bit road she was still struggling I fear she is just too far past her best and needs a good overhaul so if I can get through winter with her as most places I might need to etc are 30mph zones so no need for speed so if folk don't like it takes me a year to get up to speed well they can overtake I won't stop them lol but I bet the same ones who do who get stuck in winter would be first to chap my door for a tow ! Oh well let's hope I get time this week to get driving her more as firm believer the more use the freer they become driving plus I will get use to her growls plus still have it other 2.5 waiting to be built up which looks to be in good shape compared to one in her at mo anyways will post up result soon . 🍻

OldJocksRustbucket

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 01:03:20 PM »
Hi John, sounds like your winning, keep looking and you'll get it sorted
Jock

Lurch032003

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 10:48:15 PM »
 :'( update on this engine found after using a inspection camera and finally taking the head off that all four Pistons had cracks on them  :o so with having had git a second one partly built I went to fit that but found no matter what it's was leaking water at rear of block and thinking it was head warped tried differant know good head same thing same place .
 :-\so found anther 2.5 ex mod seemed okay so bought that and have come across few probs which I sorted and last week during its first test drive the timing belt broke  :'( :'( so stripped it down replaced belt etc put it back together went to start her but noticed a oil leak which I traced to a hole in the block oppisite the fuel injection pump the size of a 50p bit this may of been why I found it missing a tappet roller as it had blown out the side of the engine .
So have three 2.5n/a one with four crack Pistons in it, one with a bad top so can't seal head to it and now a third with a hole in the block ! Really am I'm just u lucky or what !
So plan A is see if I can patch repair hole somehow order up liquid metal .
Plan B remove the good four Pistons from one and fit to other one .
Plan C fix up one if the three 2.25 I have also awaiting to be looked at !
But plan A B and C all have to wait till mancave built so have space to do anything .
God I love landrovers I love working in them and I know I will get there in the end but I need a bit of luck given to me so if anyone out there has been holding onto a vast amount of Landy luck please pass it on .
Cheers
John
Ps once mancave built I will have a good stock check as have parts here there and everywhere so I may be able to help others soon .