Defender TD5 Heated Seats and Electric Windows not working

· 4 · 1644

Ginger_TD5

• Name: Gordon McNair
I have had a reoccurring issue with my 2002 Defender TD5 that is causing me a lot of frustration as it's an intermittent problem.

The Defender is fitted with aftermarket heated seats and standard electric windows, occasionally both stop working but when they stop working the speedo also stops working (all other gauges keep working). Sometimes the speedo will pulse from zero to the speed I'm driving but when I press the electric window switch (passenger or drivers side) the speedo will drop back down to zero again.

I have checked all fuses are working, relays are working and the wiring to the doors has not broken or rusted plus the electric window motors are in good condition with no signs of bad connections.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated before I start to remove the full dash board to trace all the cables in the loom

Thanks in advance

Gordon

mudTerrain

Re: Defender TD5 Heated Seats and Electric Windows not working
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 10:40:27 AM »
Electric seats and electric windows - way out!

Whenever I've had electrical problems, particularly involving strange instrument readings, it's been a bad earth.  Without seeing a wiring diagram, it's impossible to tell, but I could imagine that the electric windows link into the alarm system, which I know links to the speedo, as it has the red "armed" light in it.  The alarm box is behind the instruments and takes all its power and wiring from the loom that goes back, through the bulkhead and underneath to the ECU under the driver's seat.  Corrosion under there is almost a design feature, so it might be worth checking the condition of the connectors - there's the astonishing "oil in the loom" problem under there, too, so it might be worth checking how that's going.  Try running a new wire directly from the battery earth to one of the ECU mounting screws and see if that improves things.

Thinking about it, I had an issue where bad after-market wiring in my headlight circuit created a voltage drop that threw the alarm and tripped the immobiliser - the solution there was to run a new power-feed to the headlight switch, but that wasn't ideal...  If there's a bad connection in your heated seat circuit that somehow the alarm's picking up on as a voltage-drop, that might cause it to do weird things like stop the speedo working properly.  Seeing as the seats are after-market, I'd definitely check how they're plumbed in and that proper relays have been used to power them, etc.  Try disconnecting them altogether and see if the problem recurs - fault-finding's all about systematically isolating the cause...

Welcome to the wonderful world of Defender electrics - I had a problem once where I had to keep pressure on the handbrake when the engine was at idle, or it would stall - turned out the ECU was earthing through the handbrake cable, despite the earth-straps from the seatbox to the chassis looking fine...

Good luck with it - let us know what you find :)

Ginger_TD5

• Name: Gordon McNair
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 02:44:47 PM »
Thanks mudTerrain  :D

The dash is being completely removed so that I have access, I do think that it's a bad earth or loose connection for the seats and windows share the same relay and I can get it to work by (technical term) shoogling the wiring loom  ;D  ;D

I'll let you know what I find

mudTerrain

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 02:59:08 PM »
The seats and windows sharing the same relay is a bit suss - they're both pretty high current loads, so I'd have thought even a 30A relay would be on the limit of you had both going at the same time...  Is the feed to the relay straight of the battery?  If that relay links to the alarm at all, I reckon that'd be a good candidate for "something gone wrong"...

Have fun taking the dash out - I'm putting one back in and it's a right old larf...

Cheerio :)