110 propshaft noise

· 3 · 1024

scottrnavy

110 propshaft noise
« on: July 08, 2017, 11:51:32 AM »
Hi, I've got a 110 td5 with a funny noise coming from the prop shaft.  Is it OK to remove the prop shaft temporarily while waiting for a part and still use the vehicle?  Thanks for any advice.

mudTerrain

Re: 110 propshaft noise
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 08:19:05 PM »
Which prop-shaft?

I've had the universal joints (UJs) fail in mine before, both front and back, and the noise/vibration can be quite dramatic!

I've driven mine in diff-lock with only the rear prop-shaft and it seemed fine - a bit more "clonky" than normal, but fine.

I've never tried driving with the rear prop-shaft removed, though - theoretically, it should be fine, but I don't think I'd fancy it...

When my UJs failed, I replaced both compete prop-shafts, but I think that was an expensive way of fixing it - I'd have a look at overhauling/replacing just the UJs if I had to do it again...

Good luck with it :)

aqms987

Re: 110 propshaft noise
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 11:33:39 PM »
 It is worth disconnecting the individual propshafts and checking that the sliding joints slide freely & have not seized. It is a less common fault but not unknown. It can lead to noises & severe vibration.
 I have had occasion to drive 101 forward control Land Rovers over long distances minus the rear prop shaft due to lack of  spares ie UK to Germany or Perth to Bisley. I merely engaged the diff lock and found no adverse effects on handling or wear on associated components.  It is important to remember that the park brake is rendered inop in this situation if the
 diff lock is disengaged with a prop shaft removed! This could happen with the vacuum operated diff lock on a 101.