Disco 2 td5 indicators stopped working

· 4 · 1932

Mikeymc1874

• Name: Mikey McQueenie
Disco 2 td5 indicators stopped working
« on: July 22, 2017, 03:56:40 PM »
Went out to the the land rover today and discovered I had an indicator out nipped to Halfords picked up a new bulb and got them to fit it. Guy informed me bulb was fine put it back together now all the indicators don't work!! 😤😤😤 had a go at the guy and he checked fuses all good. Any ideas?

MudBucket

Re: Disco 2 td5 indicators stopped working
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 03:53:34 PM »
ive had some bad connection to indicators on the disco. the bulbs were fine, the fuse was fine, the relay switcher was fine, there was voltage to the bulb but no light. Turns out it was a corroded connector which acted like a resistor and stole all the current , so the bulb would not light. I cleaned it up and hey presto the lights were working again.

mudTerrain

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 06:42:05 PM »
I'd check the fuse again - all the indicators failing in one go suggests a single point of failure somewhere.

Does anything happen when you use the indicator switch?  Does the indicator switch turn on the front/rear light on each side with the ignition off?  It does on most cars (I can't remember if it does on my Defender, though) - if it does, it's probably not the switch...that's one component down.

Have a look on the wiring diagrams for a Disco and see if there's a point where all the indicators come together (like the fuse, but it might happen elsewhere) - I'd check that, then.

You've got to love inexplicable wiring faults :)

Good luck!

mudTerrain

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 07:26:18 PM »
I found this online:

...if it really is for a td5 Disco, it seems to suggest that the power for the indicators comes from the hazard light switch, so it might be worth checking that hasn't failed in some way - do the indicators flash with the hazard switch on?

The flashing function seems to be done by a "hazard warning light and turnlight unit" so, presumably, if that fails, everything indicator-wise stops working so, if the hazards don't work and the indicators don't work, I'd suspect the flasher unit.  Unfortunately, the easiest way to check the hazard switch/flasher unit is to try a replacement and see if it improves things.

Again, good luck with it :)