Discovery v Rangerover

· 4 · 1245

kvz2000

• Name: Donald
Discovery v Rangerover
« on: November 19, 2017, 11:20:03 AM »
Hi All,
I’m thinking about changing my Discovery for no real reason other than I’ve had it for two years and fancy a change.
I got it from a member on here and it’s been and still is a super vehicle with no issues at all. It’s a 2002 series 11 TD5 manual with only 115k . Has had a number of modifications, air suspension removed , raised 2”, cracking winch on winch bumper and large alloys with off road tyres. It has very little rust and is 100% reliable, but I’ve always fancied a Rangerover and a local 4x4 garage has a 2003 TD6 HSE for sale with only 100% it looks like it’s been well looked after but I’ve not driven it yet.
My main fear with the Rangerover is all the electrical things that can go wrong that could cost a small fortune to fix , where as the discovery parts are easier and cheaper to source and easy to work on .
This would not be the main car in the family and I don’t do any serious off reading , I’ve never used the winch in all the time I’ve owned it .
Other important issue is money , trade in with the garage would not be an option and I’d need to sell privately , feeling around £3000 for discovery due to the mods and it having no issues to worry new owner but perhaps I’m being overly optimistic and again looking for advice from you guys. Rangerover is £5000 so need to get as much as possible for mine .
All comments welcome good or bad , I’ve found this a great club to be part of and just looking for some opinions for all the experienced LR owners out there .

DRH

Re: Discovery v Rangerover
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 07:05:24 PM »
I got a 2002 RR after having a number of Disco I's and 2's, and while it was one of the best cars I have had, it was a money pit and got shot of it after it spent most of the time I had it off the road with suspension and electrical problems.  I had it 6 months and drove it no more than 2 out of the 6.

I bought it knowing it needed ball joints, discs [pads etc, and these were easy wnough to sort out, but then the air suspension played up, and eventuially I had to spend over £1500 converting it to coils, then it developed electrical problems that kept killing batteries, then finally I had to replace a single injector at about £400.  At about 100k, the auto's begin to develop gearbox issues if they haven't been looked after well, and I've also heard of turbo failures.  Neither of these ahppened to mine to be fair.

I went back the way and bought a manual diesel P38 (not everyone's favourite, but with the exception of a perished cranckshaft pulley that car never missed a beat in the 18 months I had it.  I had a tuning box fitted and regularly had 30mpg out of it (more on a run) and it pulled like a train.

I went the RR route because I was concerned about the bad reports on the D3's (and the cost), but earlier this year I bought a well maintained D3 from a fellow club member, and have racked up 10,000 miles since February, and it's been fine.   I really think the secret is looking for one that's been well or over maintained, and I would be less afraid of the D3 than the RR TD6.  I also think the D3 is a far more responsive car to drive.

Hope this gives an insight. 

PS I've still got an older Disco 2 that I've been rebuilding which I'll probably use for off roading rather than getting too adverturous with the D3.

kvz2000

• Name: Donald
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 09:06:35 PM »
Thanks DRH ,

Yes exactly why I’m not jumping into any deal, I have a worry about some very expensive issues that a RR of that age and miles could have . Perhaps I’m just being a bit of a snob wanting a RR but they are lovely looking and I’m sure will drive just as well.
Think I’ll stick with my Discovery for a while yet , I really do need to get to some Slroc events and get some off road driving done .
Cheers
Donald

Nyberg

• Name: Kevin Nyberg
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 07:28:37 PM »
Range rover for me!