14 cux remap advice

· 9 · 2033

red 90

14 cux remap advice
« on: December 27, 2017, 06:53:07 PM »
Hi,
I am finishing a project of fitting a v8 efi engine into a defender its now running too rich and at 1300rpm tick over,
it came with a recondition bottom half and I bought a donor discovery for the remainder of the engine build.
I have been told that the ecu needs remapped.

can anyone recommend a suitable company?
thanks
ian

rangerovering

Re: 14 cux remap advice
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 09:41:01 AM »
Hi Ian,

You need to sort the running issues you have first, do you have diagnostics for the ECU? If you are struggling I have Rovergauge and an emissions tester.

Check the following,

Quality cap leads and rotor arm from Powerspark ignition
Correct tune resistor fitted?
Engine timing
Air leaks
Coolant Temp sensor (from the rich running this may well be the problem)
Stepper motor cleaned and the plenum airways cleared
Base idle

14CUX will run decently in most applications on the factory maps and is really only upset by very wild camshaft changes and superlight flywheels. Unless you have spent a lot of time and money making expensive upgrades then the problem most likely lies with a faulty component or incorrect setup of the injection system.

Let me know how you get on, happy to help out  :)

Steve

Steve

red 90

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 07:00:45 PM »
thank,
that is helpful every thing is pretty standard, will work through these and will let you know.
Ian

rangerovering

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 09:44:53 AM »
Ian,

Just had another thought, make sure the fuel temp and coolant temp plugs aren't mixed up, its easily done!

Steve
Steve

KIERON

• Name: Kieron freyne
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 11:09:11 AM »
I agree with Steve.been through the pain before,
Check lamba sensors and even if you hear the stepper motor working when you switch off don't trust it is fully operational ,never trust your rev counter only go by Steve's rover file gauges when plugged into ecu.
Free to download on Internet and leads are on eBay.
Check timing again as most v8s have been set up for  Lpg and that has thrown me before

Good luck
88 bowler
80 tomcat

red 90

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 03:13:39 PM »
checked the timing, it was off the scale btdc, reset it at 600rpm and went for a run seems to have solved the problem.
thanks for all your advise.
Ian

rangerovering

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 06:50:46 PM »
Nice one!

Eliminate the simple stuff first  :D
Steve

MudBucket

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 03:11:43 PM »
On a side note with the 14cux,

mine worked great until one winter where it got to -11°C overnight.
after that the v8 ran very rich.
inside the ecu there are precision resistor boards mounted on ceramic (it looks like) and the resistors broke due to the temperature expansion/contraction.
the result was that the engine ran very rich as the ecu thought the battery voltage, which it monitors, was low. I popped on a mod so that i could control the voltage seen by the ADC inside the ecu and hey presto the car ran sweet as a nut again. i now have a small adjuster to make the car run rich to lean, good for those MOT days  ;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 03:23:00 PM by MudBucket »

red 90

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 06:35:44 PM »
finally running nice.
Download roverguage and found that there are line resistors for different countries and applications, my line resistor fitted was for a car with a cat fitted, changed it to a green one to suit my no cat setup and the rich running was cleared immediately but still idling fast and only 13.4 mpg, fitted a new stepper motor and now idling at 700rpm.
now running so smooth compared to the previous set up and hope that the mpg is improved.
fingers crossed that this has solved the problem.