Power steering problems

· 4 · 965

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
Power steering problems
« on: January 14, 2018, 08:10:41 PM »
Ok guys today the power steering seems heavy ,and a weird thing when turning right it feels like you have to force or fight the steering to activate. With engine off and on axle stands turns both ways equal and free. Anybody ever had this ? Guessing it's the box which is also making funny noises.

Please help thanks Bill
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

mudTerrain

Re: Power steering problems
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 09:08:25 PM »
Hello,

I have the same problem - I've not diagnosed the fault yet, but I've done a bit of reading; here's what the workshop manual says for a 300tdi (mines a Td5, but I don't think the PS system is that different in terms of function):

Insufficient pressure in the system is usually caused by low fluid level or PAS pump drive belt slip, or one of the following: PAS system leaks, faulty PAS pump relief valve, fault in steering box valve and worm assembly, leak at piston in steering box, worn components in PAS pump or box.

In the past, I've found low fluid to give heavy steering, but I know that's not the problem this time with mine...

All the best :)

tio

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 11:23:48 PM »
Before you go down the road of lashing out for new steering boxes make sure your uj’s Are serviceable and well lubed, my apologies if I’m preaching to the converted but some of the best have been caught out with this one, 😎

aqms987

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 11:41:45 PM »
Hi there
 I agree with Tinto, very common issue with the U/J's in the steering shaft, you really need to remove the shaft assembly to assess them properly, I have found lubrication rarely lasts. This is a safety critical item & you are really better to replace the U/J's
 Best of luck