Bonnet Shenanigans...

· 4 · 1139

mudTerrain

Bonnet Shenanigans...
« on: February 20, 2018, 07:04:35 PM »
Hello,

I've just re-fitted the bonnet to my Defender - hooray!

Unfortunately, I've hit a rather predictable snag...

To cut a long story short, when I slammed the bonnet down to engage the locking catch, the release cable disengaged from the release lever and...well...on the plus-side, the locking mechanism works perfectly.

So, I'm now stuck with the bonnet locked shut - now, I realise I'm about to embark on a request for advice which drives some people into a state of apoplectic rage, but how do I now open the bonnet again?

I've followed the "standard" advice which, not to put to fine a point on it, involves the front-grill, a screw-driver and the locking-catch release lever, but presumably this advice only holds true for pre-Td5 Defenders, as the locking mechanism on mine is well-protected from this method of attack by being inside a metal enclosure, only accessible from above.

As far as I can see, there are only three options...well, four if somebody has a clever solution I don't know of...or five, if I include leaving it outside overnight for God to sort out;

1. Go in from the front with a really big angle-grinder and cut through the locking-pin - this is fairly destructive, admittedly.
2. Disassemble the whole grill-surround/slam-panel in the hope that I can get at the locking mechanism - I'm not even sure this is possible with the bonnet locked down, though.
3. Just go for broke, put a really long wrecker-bar between the bonnet and the slam-panel and lean on it until something gives...which will probably be the bonnet itself...which would really do the opposite of making my day, to be honest.

To avoid the whole apoplectic rage thing, if anybody has a brilliant idea they want to share, away from the potential gaze of kleptomaniac sociopaths, please feel free to PM me your suggestions...

As you can see the potential course of action I'm planning, any help would be very much appreciated...

Thanks very much.

Paul :)

cooltshirt

• savethegaywhale.com
Re: Bonnet Shenanigans...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 08:51:51 AM »
Hi,
Not quite sure why people would be apoplectic ......... the purpose of a forum is information excheange.
Anyway did a bit of googling and found this on another forum relating to a 2001 TD5 defender.

My bonnet release cable snapped recently!
I managed to get the bonnet open without removing the headlights or grille.
Facing the car, I peered up through the centre of the grille to where the mechanism is located. If you look closely there is a small gap where you can fit a long screwdriver or similar to slightly prise apart the metal housing.
Once I did this I managed to push the mechanism across which is normally attached to the cable with a long screwdriver and it opened fairly easily.

But it sounds like you have tried this ......... phase 2 google says remove drivers headlight and then you can reach latch or gain access to the latch via the grill ......... this option will cause damage.

I look forward to hearing how you fix it in case I have to do the same!.
Harry
1983 110 V8. RIP

mudTerrain

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 07:27:18 PM »
Hi Harry,

thanks for your help.

Well, I went back to it in daylight (for a change) and it turns out you can get at the release lever with a screwdriver from under the slam-panel ::)

The release lever has a sort of L-shaped section just to the O/S of the locking pin and can fairly easily be pressed sideways with a screwdriver...so, I feel a bit stupid now but at least the bonnet's open again...

I don't think taking the O/S headlight out would help with the bonnet release cable, though, as it runs around the edge of the engine-bay, not up the wing, so I doubt whether you could reach it through the headlight hole...

Thanks again :)

cooltshirt

• savethegaywhale.com
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 11:15:41 PM »
Hi Paul,
Delighted that it is fixed with no collateral damage to the vehicle ........ just that extra bit of info gave you the confidence to find where to apply pressure.
Never feel silly asking about stuff on the forum  .......... we'd all be bathed in even more ignorance than is the case!
Anyway it's once the bonnet is open that the tricky questions start  ;)
Thanks Harry
1983 110 V8. RIP