Defender Bulkhead

· 3 · 1165

haggisbiker

• Name: ALEX ROBINSON
Defender Bulkhead
« on: March 01, 2018, 07:27:10 PM »
Hi all,
          Well with all this snow the old v8 110 started first turn and made it up and down the hill the Insa turbo tyres did well.

The 110 has been sitting waiting for the new lease of life in the shape of of full restoration since the mot ran out, the chassis is remarkably good, but bulkhead has tin worm and the 2 part doors fit like a round peg in a square hole....who needs opening vents...lol!!

I am looking to cut-out the rot and using some repair pieces weld in some fresh metal, now hope to keep the 110 long term so thinking about getting the bulkhead galvanised once it's sound. Does anybody know if here in Scotland we have somebody that can do galvanising without badly distorting the bulkhead, perhaps someone who has experience of Land Rover bulkheads?

I know a few companies down Englandshire can offer to repair and galvanise bulkheads for around the £1000 mark but hopefully I can make a fair go at repairing my own bulkhead once it's off the 110.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 07:49:27 PM by haggisbiker »

Rambler

• Name: Ron Murdoch
Re: Defender Bulkhead
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 04:42:36 PM »
Hi, I got the bulkhead on my Series II galvanised by Highland Galvanisers in Elgin who did a collection and delivery service for (as I remember) £70 which may have been + Vat and carriage. 19 years later it is still as good as new. I used two bits of 30x30 angle iron and 12mm bolts as a sandwich between the two outrigger mounts to keep everything in line. There was a small amount of distortion on the bulkhead top area, but nothing serious, and it fitted fine. They also have a branch in Cumbernauld. They also galvanised my chassis (organised by the chassis builder before I bought it) and that now needs some painting attention annually, but is still solid. When I was working in steel fabrication we got some stuff galvanised by a company in Glasgow docks, but they made a complete pigs ear of the job, so I wouldn't recommend them. Give me a ring if you want to chat about it. Cheers, Ron Murdoch 01875 820 758, after 7.30 pm best.

mudTerrain

Re: Defender Bulkhead
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 08:39:48 AM »
Hello,

I've had a load of bits galvanised by Highland Galvanisers in Elgin and have always been impressed with the results.

They've always been pretty helpful in terms of advice, so I'd just take them the bulkhead and ask them how best to prep it.

I got my new bulkhead from these chaps: http://www.lr-refurb.co.uk/bulkheads - they were incredibly helpful, gave me all sorts of advice on how to replace the bulkhead and gave me a load of brackets etc. which they knew I'd need.

:)