Freelander brake backplate

· 3 · 1116

NIJ

• Name: Nigel Kelly
Freelander brake backplate
« on: March 22, 2018, 04:38:12 PM »
Rust and potholes have caused a front brake disc backplate to fail.   Can this be replaced fairly easily without dismantling the hub?  Thanks, Nigel
Nigel

Korkie

• Name: Geoff Harrold
Re: Freelander brake backplate
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 09:12:38 AM »
Think you have to get the hubs off to fit new backplates.
I was on one of the Freelander forums the other day when this cropped up. An MOT tester said that no backplates were a fail-I said that I had an old Range Rover with no backplates that passed for many years. So it seems a bit of a vague area. My Freelanders backplates are falling apart and it's due an MOT soon-think I will ask the tester for his opinion.
The Freelander forums are a great place for information and they are a great bunch of guys. I have used them often
Kilmaurs, Kilmarnock

aqms987

Re: Freelander brake backplate
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 10:03:15 PM »
I would suggest that the confusion rests on the the use of the term "Back plate". A back plate is usually the the plate on which brake shoes, wheel cylinders etc are mounted (series brakes typically) they are therefore an integral part of the brake system this would therefore be a valid reason for failure if insecure or corroded to excess . I believe you are referring to what is more properly known as dust or dirt covers fitted to disc brake systems which do not perform a braking function as such. I think the tester is mis-interpreting the test standards or regulations, some brake systems do not have these dust covers fitted from new. If the plates are insecure with imminent detachment likely then that may be a legitimate ground for failure, ask the tester to show you the section under which he is failing the vehicle!.
 This is my opinion only.