Do you need a relay

· 3 · 1234

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
Do you need a relay
« on: March 31, 2018, 07:36:24 PM »
Hi guys

I am fitting led spot lights to my landie. Do I still need a relay as they use much less power??

Thanks Bill
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

Biffysun2

• Name: Biffysun2
Re: Do you need a relay
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 08:39:16 AM »
You don't 'need' one but the contacts in the Landy switches aren't the best and can be prone to burning out so any increased load, even with LeDs could cause issues in time. I've a pair of LeDs on with my main beam and use a relay. I know others have even incorporated relays into all the headlight functions so the stalk switches only control the relays which then handle the heavier loads. Just my tuppence worth!

bob

Re: Do you need a relay
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 10:18:48 AM »
You don't 'need' one but the contacts in the Landy switches aren't the best and can be prone to burning out so any increased load, even with LeDs could cause issues in time. I've a pair of LeDs on with my main beam and use a relay. I know others have even incorporated relays into all the headlight functions so the stalk switches only control the relays which then handle the heavier loads. Just my tuppence worth!

Small point about relaying "all" the headlight functions is that the switch contacts rely on some current draw to keep the contacts "clean". Without this they can become intermittent!