Boomslang Headlight Wiring Upgrade

· 2 · 1001

Tommy B

Boomslang Headlight Wiring Upgrade
« on: June 24, 2018, 12:19:21 AM »
Looking for a bit of advice.  I bought the headlight wiring upgrade kit from Flatdog.  Before I fitted it, the main headlamps came on dimly with the sidelight switch, brighter with the headlight switch, then brighter still with the main beams on (the smaller sidelight also come on, it's a 2000 Defender TD5).  However, after fitting it, switching the side lights on brings on the headlamps on, so I cannot just have the sidelights on (main beam operates correctly). 
The instructions were clear and fairly simple to follow, so not much chance of getting it wrong - famous last words, eh!.  Before I contact Flatdog, is there something I'm doing wrong?  Looking at the bulbs, I think they only have headlights and main beam (H4 bulbs) which make me think there must be some sort of voltage drop at the switch to light up the sidelights?  If so, anyone have any ideas how I can get my sidelights back on?         

Cheers,
Never Apologise - Never Explain                     (Sorry, I should say I read that in a book somewhere!!)

Dave T

Re: Boomslang Headlight Wiring Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 12:37:09 PM »
On a 300 tdi (others may be similar) there is a Dim/Dip relay/resistor in the drivers side wing, attached to top which controlled the headlights. I made my own wiring loom up and just disconnected the dim/Dip relay/resistor
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite