HELP needed!

· 11 · 1645

Farx4

HELP needed!
« on: July 05, 2018, 10:12:17 PM »
I'm. sure some of you will have read my posts regarding a badly behaved V8 which keeps frying it's coil. Positive it is an electrical issue so I'm looking for an auto electrician or someone who can resolve or at least identify the problem for me. The vehicle is an 88" V8 with very minimal wiring ( it's not road legal or suchlike) so there is no massive birdsnest of wires. It is in a large dry workshop with good access near Jedburgh in the Borders and I will pay someone for their time and travel. I just want the vehicle to work and I can't see the wood for the trees.

Send me a PM if you can help please, thanks or text me on 07748467637

Farx4

Re: HELP needed!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 05:58:26 PM »
Thanks to good friend and neighbour the hot coil scenario has now been identified and rectified. I would now like to get the engine properly tuned and set up as I think once  that is done it will start to behave itself and I might actually be able to start using it! Any recommendations for V8 tuners? Thanks

mel

• Name: Patrick McInally
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 08:43:52 PM »
so what was problem then, dont have  v8 but have been watching your thread ?

Farx4

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 09:24:01 AM »
Seems that the coil has been receiving 12v all the time even with a resistor in the ignition circuit. The original wiring loom is still in place and we thought we had found the problem when we discovered a wire not connected to a terminal on the starter solenoid. Re connected that but it made no difference so not sure if the connector on the solenoid is faulty. However the engine now runs with only one positive lead to the coil and seems happy enough to start like this so I'm leaving it the way it is. Next job is to get it all timed in properly, I tried using the timings suggested on here but the engine ran pretty rough and with a fairly large flat spot. Might even get to drive it this year :'(

rangerovering

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 09:41:11 AM »
Seems that the coil has been receiving 12v all the time even with a resistor in the ignition circuit. The original wiring loom is still in place and we thought we had found the problem when we discovered a wire not connected to a terminal on the starter solenoid. Re connected that but it made no difference so not sure if the connector on the solenoid is faulty. However the engine now runs with only one positive lead to the coil and seems happy enough to start like this so I'm leaving it the way it is. Next job is to get it all timed in properly, I tried using the timings suggested on here but the engine ran pretty rough and with a fairly large flat spot. Might even get to drive it this year :'(

What procedure did you use to time it?
Steve

Farx4

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 12:50:42 PM »
A timing strobe

rangerovering

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 09:31:07 AM »
Check the timing marks on the crank pulley are accurate, need a long dial gauge to reach down cylinder 1 to check it is actually at TDC then see where the pointer on the crank is. Sorry if its an obvious one but you did disconnect and blank the vacuum advance?
Steve

Farx4

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 08:33:18 AM »
After a day in the workshop rewiring, re-timing, adjusting the carb, replacing the accelerator pump the troublesome V8 burst into life and appears to be running pretty fine. Still a couple of things to sort out but progress has definately been made. Thanks to everyone who offered help along the way!

Sandy M

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 11:33:40 PM »
Good news!   Hopefully you can soon go and give it a damn good thrashing  :).

Farx4

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 08:34:05 AM »
All been well it will taken around a neighbours field at the weekend for it's first run. Then we will retrace the route and  see what has fallen off!

Farx4

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 09:02:37 AM »
Took the V8 around a neighbours field and I got a real suprise! Nothing fell off, it drove and handled much better than I thought it would.Happy bunny after all the agro it has given me!