fuel guage reading high

· 7 · 1443

red 90

fuel guage reading high
« on: September 07, 2018, 05:33:35 PM »
 hi, I have fitted a discovery 3.9i v8 engine in a defender td5 and I am getting a high reading on the td5 fuel gauge, any idea's on how to remedy this?

I had a similar problem with the temperature gauge and cured this by fitting an adjustable resistor and wonder would this be the same cure?

thanks

Ian

90XS

• Name: John Kram
Re: fuel guage reading high
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 06:56:23 PM »
Interesting topic regarding the temperature gauge reading high, seem to be having the same issue but the engines not overheating could you share your fix for this, sorry cant help with the fuel gauge
John
Oldjocksrustbucket.

sj72blair

• Name: Steven Blair
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 10:16:09 AM »
It's the operating range of the temp sender not matching the requirements of the temp gauge. I run a 3,9 injection in my 130, I bought a matched gauge and sender as a package from Burton to guarantee the correct readings. Trying to get an accurate reading throughout after fitting a variable resistor would concern me, the original gauge fitted on my Land Rover had a resistor fitted which worked ok but I found the gauge only read so far. Unknown to me it had developed a water leak from a hose,  lost a lot of water and the gauge never went above two thirds. Luckily I was stopping at services and caught it but the engine was overheating badly. I would go for the new gauge and matched sender, I have managed to keep my one to roughly 80 degrees most of the time according to my set up now.

90XS

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 08:19:49 PM »
Thanks for the information, sounds like you’ve got a really good set up
Cheers
John
Oldjocksrustbucket.

sj72blair

• Name: Steven Blair
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 08:33:50 PM »
The fuel sender is working on the same principle as the temp sender,  there is a shift from one preset resistance to another when the sender goes from full to empty. You could look for the resistance readings from the td5 sender and the tdi sender online, compare and add a resistor to calibrate if it's possible or fit a tdi fuel gauge to match the sender. Don't know if you could fit the variable resistor pcb board from a td5 sender in to a tdi sender unit? Might be a possibility if you want to keep the td5 clocks.

90XS

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 08:32:47 PM »
More good tips, cheers :)
Oldjocksrustbucket.

90XS

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 03:13:43 PM »
Wrong temp display fixed, wrong sender had been fitted by the previous owner all ok now :)
Oldjocksrustbucket.