Incorrect Engine Water Temperature Guage Reading 300tdi

· 2 · 1019

90XS

• Name: John Kram
Incorrect Engine Water Temperature Guage Reading 300tdi
« on: November 28, 2018, 05:40:00 PM »
Temp Sender 300 TDi engine swap from 200Tdi

This was a project Defender i took on which was not finished correctly by the previous owner, among a host of other things when the engine was eventually running I had a problem with a higher than expected reading on the engine water temperature gauge, initially i thought it may be a faulty thermostat or a blown cylinder head gasket, however, it seemed to be running reasonably well, the thermostat was removed and tested, the engine temperature was checked using a digital laser thermometer which confirmed the engine was not overheating.

Turns out there are two types of sender for the 300tdi, one has a Green band and one has a Black band, the correct sender in my case was the one with the Black band.

I fitted a new sender with the Black band (purchased from Steve Parker 4x4) and its working correctly now, In my case a Green band sender had been fitted which makes the temperature gauge read incorrectly high.

I’ve removed the viscous  fan and in the process of converting to an electric fan, i will post up how this goes.

Cheers
Jock
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 05:36:40 PM by 90XS »
Oldjocksrustbucket.

90XS

• Name: John Kram
Re: Incorrect Engine Water Temperature Guage Reading 300tdi
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 05:38:49 PM »
Got a fan, themostatic switch and fused relay all for just over £60, made up some brackets to fit the fan to the radiator, all sorted, result. :) :)

Cool 8)
Oldjocksrustbucket.