Forum and website use vs facebook

· 20 · 3821

neils

• Name: Neil Scott
Forum and website use vs facebook
« on: January 31, 2019, 08:12:42 AM »
Hi,
As some of you are aware the club is looking at altering/upgrading the website and forum to make it more user friendly to try and make it more atractive to use and hopefully pull more discussion.
We do generally feel it is a better archive and ordered discussion forum than facebook, it is also agreed that evryone has access to this forum wheras not everyone is a fan of FB.
It would be really good if you folks can help let us know what you want from the forum, what are your biggest bug bears and what would you like to see.
Traffic here has plummeted with the uptake of FB but FB has many many problems, particularly archiving nuggets of info which get lost. So get writing and let us know what we need to do.
Thanks
88" coil v8 trials motor
S111 Project
62 Willys Wagon (project)  shh keep this quiet!

DRH

Re: Forum and website use vs facebook
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 01:49:42 PM »
Personally, I would like to see both kept.  There's another Scottish forum that did away with their forum, and I'm never on their site now.

If the FB page doesn't allow the selling of parts and vehicles, it would be a loss for those wanting to sell off bits and pieces if the forum dissappeared.

The only issue I have is the difficulty uploading photographs - but maybe my problem rather than others

Hope this helps

Duncan

cenemc

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 06:05:00 PM »
Personally I don't see what is wrong with this forum.
Clear and simple to use and under the Clubs control.
Not, as Facebook is, under the control of other parties.
The fashion may be for Facebook at present,
fine have a Facebook page as well but the posting of the Club's information should be on here and then copied to Facebook,
 not the other way around as has been the case recently.

(@ForumSupport - We still seem to be on SMF 2.0.7 at the bottom of the page tho current ver is 2.0.15
- is there a reason for this?)

Dave T

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 09:48:18 PM »
Totally agree it’s far easier to find both new and old things on forum rather than Facebook. Maybe just a good revamp to make more modern looking, it does feel quite drab at the moment.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

kvz2000

• Name: Donald
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 09:53:13 PM »
I agree with above comments, and I also agree with DHR about the difficulties in adding photos , so hopefully the club can do something about the photos and all will be good

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 10:36:24 PM »
The key advantage of a Forum is that threads are better archived, more easy to keep a discussion on track. A Facebook post can get "buried" very quickly. Makes a Forum a lot more use for discussing technical problems.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Korkie

• Name: Geoff Harrold
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 08:39:04 AM »
I prefer the forum
BUT I have not been able to load photos
I can easily on other forums
Kilmaurs, Kilmarnock

neils

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 12:34:48 PM »
Yup, the photos is a big issue, we will likely be doing an interim update on this forum layout to see what that fixes. But yes we ultimately want you to be able to upload photos as easily as possible. To allow this we need to get the forum to downsize your photos (facebook and other forums do this without you noticing).
So to sum up the site and forum will be updated visually and functionally, please bear with us as we do have fulltime jobs and Landys to fix too :) but this is a priority.
88" coil v8 trials motor
S111 Project

StephenO

• Name: Stephen O'#039#039Rourke
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 06:37:25 PM »
Yep, agree with the photo issue and other comments. Definitely prefer this over FB.

Not sure how difficult it is but some of us also use the Disco3 forum and on there each member has their own gallery which they can upload photos and the benefit is that all members can access each other’s. This is handy for general day out photos and uploading photos when selling parts etc
2007 Defender Puma Tonga Green
2016 RR Sport Autobiography Corris Grey
2005 Discovery 3 Zambezi Silver
1995 Defender 90 Coniston Green
1968 Series 2A Bronze Green - Project

Alan Mc

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 12:53:01 PM »
Not a FB user and like forum way it is, thanks.  Alan.

aqms987

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 07:13:44 PM »
Hi Folks I too am not a facebook user, prefer things the way they are. I find there is increasing pressure to move everything on to facebook as though the world revolves around it!

neils

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 08:24:52 PM »
Hi Folks I too am not a facebook user, prefer things the way they are. I find there is increasing pressure to move everything on to facebook as though the world revolves around it!
Hi, that's great, there is absolutely NO plan to move to facebook, quite the opposite. We are looking how to improve this site to attract more use.
Cheers
Neil
88" coil v8 trials motor
S111 Project

GordonG

• Name: Gordon Gillon
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 11:02:36 PM »
Interesting thread this. I've not long joined the club, and have made use of both.

Website/forum long term archivability/searchability - helped me understand the club, and solve (some of) my mechanical problems
vs. FB immediacy <I demand your attention - look at what I'm doing now> - I guess both have their uses.

I agree the website/forum could use redevelopment. It could be a lot slicker - and obviously needs securing with https now Chrome dislikes it

90XS

• Name: John Kram
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 04:11:37 PM »
Personally I don't see what is wrong with this forum.
Clear and simple to use and under the Clubs control.
Not, as Facebook is, under the control of other parties.
The fashion may be for Facebook at present,
fine have a Facebook page as well but the posting of the Club's information should be on here and then copied to Facebook,
 not the other way around as has been the case recently.

I agree with the above comments, I’m not a FB user at all but thats my preference, maybe an age thing, I like the forum, maybe as others have pointed out a revamp might help

John
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 04:14:43 PM by 90XS »
Oldjocksrustbucket.

hunter

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 08:38:43 PM »
Great to see comments on this well done Neil! I would like to see more comments on events FB gets the feedback more than the forum I understand how important the forum is as things get lost on FB, regarding the photos which I know we have discussed,  it would be great to see the forum being used more  :)