V8 3.9 - Help - Head gaskets or worse?

· 5 · 1176

lreay

V8 3.9 - Help - Head gaskets or worse?
« on: February 04, 2019, 08:42:21 PM »
At the last CCV just pulling off my trailer and heading along to the first section my trials motor went above its normal running temperature, it normally sits pretty much on 88c, but it climbed to 95c before the thermostat opened. When I started to poke about their was an airlock in the cooling system, I topped up and bled the air and it went back to normal with the thermostat opening at 88c. I pressure tested the cooling system and found a couple of leaks on a couple of hoses, but a coolant block test showed exhaust gasses in the coolant. I have now done a compression test both cold and hot but these were all good? Reading online this seems to imply that it will be a cracked block rather than just a head gasket is this always the case?

Cheers
Luke
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 08:49:16 PM by lreay »

discoverypete

• Name: Peter Williamson
Re: V8 3.9 - Help - Head gaskets or worse?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 02:24:13 PM »
I thought you would have had a reply by now. Doesn't look like good news.
You could always try a tin of block sealer from Halfords they're only a tenner.

Pete.

lreay

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 10:53:59 PM »
Thanks Pete,

I used ragweld on a fiesta some years ago and it was still going holding after 100,000 miles although that was just a radiator leak. There are mixed reviews about block sealers, think I need to open it up but if it turns out to be the block it would be expensive and time consuming for a rebuild so I'm on the lookout for a good engine so I can just swap it in and then perhaps rebuild at a later date.

Cheers
Luke

rangerovering

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 10:30:31 AM »
I've seen Irontite used successfully several times, you have to follow the instructions to the letter though and give it plenty curing time. Its worth a shot if it avoids an engine change. K Seal isn't as good in my experience
Steve

Yogi

• Name: Ewart Hogarth
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 05:56:22 PM »
Got a similar issue with Old Yeller, heads coming off this week, just hope its the gaskets.... Good luck