Hello. Disco 2 advice welcomed

· 3 · 1133

Mr Pig

• Name: Colin Sim
Hello. Disco 2 advice welcomed
« on: May 11, 2019, 08:52:18 AM »
Hello guys, and girls ;0) First post, just joined.

I was made redundant a year ago and, thinking that there was little chance I'd find another job so close to home, I bought a second car. Then, a few months later, I got a job right next door to where i used to work! Not really needing it, I sold the car. We can get by fine with one but my wife has decided she liked not sharing and wants me to get another one.

So several things occured to me. I don't need a car that's reliable. I don't need a car that gets good economy. I don't need a car that's cheap to insure because I'm old enough that most cars are. If the car sits in the garden for weeks while I fix something, it doesn't really matter.

So, i can buy a Discoi! Never really wanted a 4x4 before, always prioritise handling and fun and I certainly don't need one, but I reckon it would just be a fun to own. It doesn't matter what kind of fancy BMW or Audi some bloke is driving, if he pulls up next to a jacked up Land Rover on building block tyres he's gona wish he was driving that!

I need to find one. Hopefully a good one and not one held together with rust. i've looked at one, inner wings rusted away. I've spoken to a couple of LR experts on the phone, they told me some of the things to look for. Any further advice would be very welcome. I could get myself into a lot of trouble quite easily here as I think there are far more bad ones than good ones.

Budget is two to three grand but I'm flexible if I find a stunning car. Cosmetic condition is not very important, being solid underneath is, and i'm open to 'crazy' looking cars as this is not a daily driver.

Was thinking of going to see this today: https://www.gumtree.com/p/land-rover/discovery-2-td5-7-seats/1338502216

Based in central Scotland if that helps? Thank you in advice for any advice you can give me :0)

Alan Mc

Re: Hello. Disco 2 advice welcomed
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 08:59:06 PM »
Hi Colin and welcome.

I've had a few discos including a D2.  I bought my D2 off here and was a good buy. I'd recommend a known motor, perhaps from the club.  If I were you, I'd get along to somewhere like GEMM in Larbert and see if any customers are looking to sell. 

You're right, look for corrosion.  Plenty spares around fora solid motor. 

Enjoy. Alan.

Mr Pig

• Name: Colin Sim
Re: Hello. Disco 2 advice welcomed
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 09:23:32 PM »
Hi Alan,
Thank you. I'll need to check my forum settings. I didn't get a notification of this reply. I started another thread as I thought this one wasn't getting seen.
There are so many discos out there it's hard to narrow the search down.
Cheers,
       Colin.