Hard Brakes on a series 3

· 3 · 1361

Petes_Series

Hard Brakes on a series 3
« on: February 02, 2020, 12:54:29 PM »
I think I know the answer  to this but I'm going to check with you guys.

Recently driving my Landy I have had a problem of the break pedal being rock hard and it seeming that all the brakes on. The engine has to fight to get moving and it stops if braking when freewheeling (It doesn't pull to any side. Brakes evenly.

Sometimes if I stop for 10 minutes the problem completely goes away. Sometimes it doesn't.

I have changed the brake fluid in case of contamination but the problem persists.

Its the Master Brake cylinder isn't it?
We all know that small cars are good for us. But so is cod liver oil. And jogging.

discoverypete

• Name: Peter Williamson
Re: Hard Brakes on a series 3
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 06:21:51 PM »
That's what I would change as they are only about £30.
Get the real thing. I fitted cheaper slave cylinders  and they were leaking within 6 months.

Pete.

Just had a thought.. This fault is caused by the shaft( don't know the real name for this part) in the master cylinder not going back when the brakes are released. It could be just a weak return spring on the brake pedal if you are lucky.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 06:43:20 PM by discoverypete »

Petes_Series

Re: Hard Brakes on a series 3
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 10:13:55 AM »
Ok replaced the Master Cylinder and that didnt help.

I think it is the pushrod setting. The spring for the brake pedal is working fine so it must be the pushrod.

Just have to work out whether to move the nuts Up the pushrod or Down the pushrod.

We all know that small cars are good for us. But so is cod liver oil. And jogging.