New Starter Motor issue - 300Tdi

· 2 · 1394

Mikey

New Starter Motor issue - 300Tdi
« on: July 21, 2020, 09:10:46 PM »
Hi All,
110 - 300Tdi.

My starter motor's been playing up recently.But only after I've stopped and the engine's hot, the solenoid clicks but nothing happens. I assumed the heat's affecting it and it's getting a bit old, I think it's the original motor from 1994 ish.

Electrics & earth are good. I fitted a new bulkhead a couple of years ago and earthed everything to everything and back to the battery. The starter has it's own earth strap.

Bought a new motor, good quality unit, from Strathearn. I've fitted a few starters in other Landy's, nothing difficult at all on the 300Tdi. And I have an almost brand new, good quality battery.

When I trurned the key, with the new motor, it made an awful noise, like the starter gear isn't engaging fully with the flywheel, and once it had started you can hear the 'whine' of the motor running down.

I had the new and old motors out on the ground and fired them both with jump leads, both seem fine.
But, I seem to be only getting 11volts on the starter solenoid feed. Could this be the issue of not firing the starter gear wheel out enough?
But why do I hear the motor running down when the engine's fired?
I have an immobilser fitted, I wonder if that's playing up and not delivering full power..?
So many questions... I've put the old motor back in for now, I'll just have to plan longer stops at services to wait for it to start up.

Advice much appreciated.

Mike

Mikey.
1985 110 CSW, 300Tdi fitted.
1993 Classic LSE, V8 LPG.

discoverypete

• Name: Peter Williamson
Re: New Starter Motor issue - 300Tdi
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 03:10:05 PM »
Hi Mikey.

If you can hear the starter turning after the engine has started that can mean a couple of things.
1 The power is still connected to the starter after you let go of the key. You can check this with your meter on the solenoid connections. Could be a faulty ignition switch or solenoid.
2  The Bendix is sticky and not releasing quick enough. To check this you will have to take the starter out and run it on your bench. The Bendix should snap back as soon as you take the power off. Could just need a jolly good clean.
    While you have the starter out check the teeth on the flywheel for damage. If you turn the flywheel all the way round the damage is likely to be in just one place as the engine tends to stop at much the same place each time.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Pete.