Rover event at Falkirk Wheel

· 8 · 3701

sthrifty

Rover event at Falkirk Wheel
« on: May 13, 2010, 07:53:30 PM »
I have had a request from a member for information on this,are the club attending in an official capacity?Is anyone planning to go and show there Land "Rover"
1995 300 tdi csw 110
series 3 109 2.25p
ex mil 1986 90 s/t 2.5na
88on galv chassis needs rebuild and more
Disco m reg 2l mpi
[/

kerbsidebob

Re: Rover event at Falkirk Wheel
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 08:47:53 PM »
hi, john , do you know the dates for the all rover show at falkirk, cheers, bob.
INSIDE EVERY OLD PERSON IS A YOUNGER PERSON, WONDERING WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED

jumbo

• drive through car wash landrover style
    • photo bucket
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 08:51:45 PM »
would it be this?
http://www.sarr.co.uk/
doug
2005 3door freelander td4
1986 90s/w with 200tdi

warning::: any jokes posted by myself come with a health warning!!!!!

stan

• Ex Military 110
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 11:20:07 PM »
Phil Hannah is on the SARR comittee and was talking with Bobby about a club presence at the event so Bobby or Phil should have the answer to this one.
(See previous chat under "non SLROC events" banner)

philbert

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 07:10:27 PM »
Hi,
I spoke with Bobby about a club presence at the event and he is up for it. I have no idea what he is going to arange as i havent spoke to him for a few weeks (perhaps i should eh). But whether you are there at the clubs request or not everyone is more than welcome. The driving day is now fully booked but is not much fun in an off roader. The static day to show your motor is on Sunday 30th May. It will cost you ?10 to enter just pay at the gate and i'll squeeze you in. You never know your motor might win you a prize.

Cheers
Phil

kvz2000

• Name: Donald
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 08:41:22 PM »
Hi,

I am planning to go to this event as will be in Glasgow anyway and always wanted to visit the Wheel, any idea what would be the best time on the Sunday to arrive, I have never been to a SLROC event or met anyone from it although never away from the forum, I have also let my membership lapse as sold my old Landie.  Now got a 93 Rangerover and keen to get to some events, are you guys having a club get together at this event ?

cheers

Donald.

stan

• Ex Military 110
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 01:44:42 AM »
Well, went to Falkirk yesterday to the All Rover Rally and I have to say it was a disappointment. I defended this event before on the forum on the strength of the previous year at Thirleston Castle which was an excellent location.
I approached the Falkirk Wheel from the roundabout just after the turn off for Gemm at Larbert. No signage at the roundabout, nothing to suggest to anyone that an event was taking place at the Wheel. Continued to the car park, still nothing except a few good samaritans having a BBQ in aid of The Beatson Institute. On the way from the car to the Wheel a couple stopped me to ask if there was a classic car event on there, they too had seen no evidence. Up to the canal and over the bridge, past the visitor centre, still nothing. Walked up the hill towards the upper car parks and lo and behold there in an upper car park was the rally. I walked past the SARR tent and had a look around the cars, last year I paid my tenner and parked up with the other Landrovers as an exhibit, but since there was no guidance at the entrance this time, I parked in the free car park and walked the rest. A simple sign at the lower car park would have earned the rally at least another tenner. No SLROC presence except old faithfull Peter from Paisley and his Disco. He did say that at least one more club member was there though. The military boys were there and had made a real effort as they did at Thirleston. What a difference a bit of a display makes.
But for the saloon cars, a real shame and a wasted opportunity I suspect. Perhaps it was the rather un-inspiring location, previous years at Thirleston and Kelbourne seemed to suit the rally better. The Wheel may be ok for canal enthusiasts but to park up a fine selection of vehicles in a visitor car park just didn't work. And many people visiting the Wheel would have had no idea that anything was happening at the upper car park if they like me had used the lower entrance.
The lack of trade stands, auto jumble, etc also seems a pity. People like to buy things and you have a captive audience (us old car enthusiasts don't get out much). At Kelbourne, I remember quite a few traders and it really made more of the day. Would like to see this event continue and flourish but it needs a bit more imagination and promotion I'm afraid.

kvz2000

• Name: Donald
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 07:29:09 AM »
Hi Stan,

I attended this event also , my first with my RRC, but thought I had picked the wrong day as no signs, I too parked in lower car park and thankfully I eventually decided to walk up the hill and found the event.  I thought the turn out was excellent with plenty of rovers to see, but not much else. I did have a walk round the Landrovers and spoke to a chap with a green RRC lse similar to mine ( he converts vehicles to gas ) but had hoped to meet more SLROC members, never mind I will really need to make the effort to attend one of our own events. I thought the location was fine as it was easy to convince the family to attend as there was something other than cars to see, like yourself I was disappointed that there were no auto jumble stalls as I love buying nice shiny parts for cars that I will never use,

DN.