Soapbox tow vehicles required for Cairngorm

· 14 · 7990

neils

• Name: Neil Scott
Soapbox tow vehicles required for Cairngorm
« on: November 23, 2010, 12:18:37 AM »
Hi, I am asking on behalf of the organisers of this years Cairngorm Soapbox Extreme (full info here http://www.soapboxracing.co.uk/) if anyone would be able to assist at this event on the weekend 1st & 2nd July 2011, they are looking for drivers of suitably large vehicles, eg Land rover, Range rovers etc to help tow the carts back to the top of the track. This is a great fun weekend and I am sure anybody helping out will receive an excellent welcome, there is even some rewards available for those helpers inc. covering cost of fuel. Hope you can help.
pm me or reply here if you think you can.
Thanks in advance
Neil
88" coil v8 trials motor
S111 Project
62 Willys Wagon (project)  shh keep this quiet!

rangerovering

Re: Soapbox tow vehicles required for Cairngorm
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 01:16:57 AM »
Hi
Looks fun, would certainly be interested in helping :)
Steve

jay2578

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 05:47:08 PM »
Yeah, sounds good. I`m interested in helping out. I`m just outside kirriemuir
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 05:49:22 PM by jay2578 »

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
  • Name: Stuart Clink
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 06:25:04 PM »
I'm up for that.  Looks like at least one night's accommodation will be required - are organisers able to get any deals as it will be high "summer" season then.
Navigator          GM1VBE

coolcamper55

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 07:37:06 PM »
Looks like cracking fun, pity the entries are closed we could have put in a Landy.

Might just try and get up to that event

neils

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 09:33:18 PM »
Good to see your keen to help, there is a campsite booked for tents and campervans, no caravans though, there should still be space. ( I am going to Glenmore campsite since we have caravan. ?24/nte inc elec)
pm me with your details and I will pass them on to organisers, so they can let you have all the info.
Thanks
Neil
88" coil v8 trials motor
S111 Project

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 11:42:51 PM »
Dear All,

Many thanks for your offers of help for Cairngorm Soapbox Extreme. I'm the organiser, and I'm in the process of putting all the pieces together for the event.

I've been in touch with a couple of you, but now I have some details I thought it worth getting back in touch to let you know what the plan is and get some firm numbers. What we need are 4 vehicles capable of towing up to 8 carties at a time (~1600Kg) up the Cairngorm Ski Road. It's all tarmac and there is no off-road required. We'll need you on site from 5.30pm until about 10.30pm on 1st and 2nd July, but other than that your time is your own. There should be 4 tows each evening. As well as tow drivers and vehicles, we also need trackside marshalls to keep an eye on things so those not directly involved in the towing can get involved elsewhere if they like.

In return for your time, skills and equipment, we can give you an exclusive souvenir tee shirt, a snack and a contribution towards your fuel of ?100 for the two days. You will also have my undying gratitude, and if any of you are interested in taking part in 2012 we'll give you first refusal of a place (entries are much sought after - all the places for this year's event were snapped up the day after they went online back in November).

I'm also in the process of booking a basic camp site near Aviemore. It is not as fancy as Loch Morlich, but has a water supply and toilets, and you are welcome to stay there at no cost.

If any of you are willing and able to help out, please pm me or contact me via the event web site - http://soapboxracing.co.uk.

Cheers
Stephen
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 11:56:43 PM by ScottishCarties »

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 01:42:39 PM »

A big thanks to everyone who responded. I think we now have enough tow vehicles and drivers.  I'll reply with full details to all those who volunteered their sevices in the near future.

Anyone else wanting to come along to watch the fun is more than welcome. The race is on the 1st & 2nd July and the action starts at 6pm both days, and will continue until about 10.30. Friday evening is for individual practice and seeding runs, and on Saturday the teams are split into groups and race head to head in elimination heats. There is no admission charge.

rangerovering

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 09:12:24 PM »
Anyone one else from this forum helping out? Would be fun to maybe organise some sort of expedition during the day as a group, there is lots of things to do up there.
Steve

Ripped007

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 01:00:42 AM »
I told them that I might be able to help but not sure yet.

Bob...

neils

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 03:55:14 PM »
A BIG! BIG! Thank you from all the drivers and teams involved in the soapbox race at cairngorm mountain, the 4x4s that assisted getting the carts back up the hill did a fantastic job and helped make the weekend a great success! Fastest cart was clocked at 70mph! Not bad without an engine. :)
Thanks again for your help and support
From Team Caiman and everyone else involved.
http://www.soapboxracing.co.uk/

p.s. we are always on the lookout for locations to race, trying to find somewhere in central belt (get in touch if you know of anything anywhere though). Obviously needs to be a road which is either private or quiet enough that we can get permission to close for gala style event. Oh and of course needs to be downhill all the way.  ::)
Thanks
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 01:59:37 PM by neils »
88" coil v8 trials motor
S111 Project

Spaceman

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 10:08:17 PM »
what about doune hillclimb?

Tim

• Carbon has a footprint but it has no feet.........
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 10:35:52 AM »
There is also the road from Drymen to Gartmore over the Muirpark............... with  grand steep down hill from the summit down toward Gartmore but a bit rough in places but no hairpins, just two corners - it is a public single track road though but could be closed with enough notice I suppose. Plenty of camping/B&B/hotels and only 45 minutes drive out of Glasgow
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:38:33 AM by Tim »
On my drive now - Zanzibar Bronze Evoque 5 door Dynamic Lux Plus with Intelligence & Black Packs with Tan interior
Gone - Fuji White RR Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux Plus
Staying - 1996 Epsom Green TDi 300 CHT that is now a CSW

neils

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 11:44:13 PM »
Approached Doune Hillclimb already, the estate manager said they were not willing to let us use track! Why? Who knows. :(
Will have a look at the Drymen road, hoping to find private road that would suit though.
88" coil v8 trials motor
S111 Project