Any chance of some technical guides in the techy department?

· 6 · 2310

Scott110

Any chance of some technical guides in the techy department?
« on: February 03, 2011, 06:19:05 PM »
Its a thought i had for a while. Im not a qualified mechanic but like most landy owners we usually try fix things ourself. I often have to go to Jokezone sorry landyzone as the member there Busterbus has a very nice setup a full section dedicated to how to fix things. I also use Lr4x4 and LRUKforum for guides. It be nice to find it on SLROC im not a paying member but the forum is ideal certanly bring in lots of lookers if you google. The problem i have found showed its head when i started the engine convertion on my 110. There are lots of guide out there but most are dedicated to the suppliers that offer the convertion items at huge cost as i found out. I did pay nearly ?500 for a few hose kits, pre designed engine mounts that fit pertfectlly on the bulkhead uprights brackets and a elecy kenowee fan. Thank god i only paid 250 for a great disco bar its rotten body.
Im at about ?750 now and thats almost evryhting i need. I saved money by useing a 19j flywheel housing adaptor no drilling or tapping my lt77 will slot right on the back of the block. I used the Parker mounts so i can use OE 300tdi defender manifold downpipe.....which i can buy for ?17.99 on ebay all day long. I wont be drowning my landy in water so no need for the expensive air box convertion im opting for a 200tdi air filter housing with a new KN already fitted  ;) thanks Python nice surprise that.

So what you think guys the sites great but there is no real technical help at all unless someone responds to your post.???
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

python

• its not a landrover if it doesn't leak oil.
Re: Any chance of some technical guides in the techy department?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 06:45:43 PM »
Lol. Your welcome. I knew it was there so I'm glad it's coming into use now.
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
1965 series 2a 109 crewcab.
series 3 on galvy chassis
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

amature radio callsign MM6MIS

neils

• Name: Neil Scott
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 07:20:43 PM »
I suppose it's down to time. why spend time adding tech info to this site that may be irrelevant or duplicated elsewhere when time can be spent more productively by those in the know answering specific detailed questions when they can. Not trying to be smart but.... you appear to have the beginings of a good engine transplant article/info section there that I am sure a good few may be interested. You could document the ins and outs, the pitfalls/sucesses etc so we can all learn from it.
Cheers and good luck with the conversion.
88" coil v8 trials motor
S111 Project
62 Willys Wagon (project)  shh keep this quiet!

Scott110

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 07:48:10 PM »
If i could help in anyway picture wise etc i would the one thing i find is with most these guides is their all rushed your kind of guessing when the picture they uploaded etc is not there.... i had that with my rear crank oil seal as i was fitting a 19j housing with a 200tdi gasket set to get the seal right.... noone had that info and Mr Parker stafff had no idea this convertion was taking place. Its not that there are not guides out there its just i kinda seem to find compatiable parts just by looking into things.... it be nice to have the ultimate guide to 200,300 convertions into the variouse models useing if possible almost all factorey parts so in future the owners dont payt through the nose to service their landys.

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 06:42:15 AM »
By the time I had got my 200tdi engine into my 300tdi Discovery, I'd lost track of what I had had to do in the early days :)

I swapped a clutch in a freelander the other week... again, I didn't think to stop to take pictures - I had no idea if what I was doing was the quick way, the slow way... or even totally the wrong way... and trying to document an explorative delve into a coherent guide is not easy :chuckle:

I like the idea.... perhaps you could seed something from the posts already here?

Scott110

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 11:36:46 AM »
Im more than happy to help out i have documented evryhting so far on the 300tdi convertion and taking pics of the important things. Ill do the same with a 200tdi convertion coming up next. Off course id send all the info to the Admins first let them read it over see if its relivant and required but i think it be a great boost to the techy department rather than trawling the old posts trying to find info.

Gives me something productive to do in my spare time.