Starter solenoid replacement

· 3 · 2010

AberdeenRob

• Name: Robbie Stephen
Starter solenoid replacement
« on: November 19, 2012, 11:41:33 AM »
Due to my clumsiness I managed to strip the thread on one of the copper studs on the back of the starter solenoid on my 1984 2.5 NA defender.  Having struggled to find any info about replacing a starter solenoid on the forum, google or in Haynes book of lies, and not wanting to fork out for a whole new starter motor assembly, I blundered on and did what seemed sensible and successfully swapped out the solenoid for a new one, with only a moderate amount of swearing required. 

I did this with the engine and starter motor in situ, which made things a bit fiddly but it was definitely easier this way than removing the downpipe to get the whole starter motor out.  It would however have been a lot easier if I'd done it whilst the engine was out a month ago!

Sadly I failed to take any photos for a how to, but if anyone finds themselves in a similar situation and needs advice then feel free to PM me.

Robbie

The Classic Man

• Name: Robin Watt
Re: Starter solenoid replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 11:45:25 AM »
Have you tried re tapping it to a smaller size.
The Classic Man
Heros & RNLI member

AberdeenRob

• Name: Robbie Stephen
Re: Starter solenoid replacement
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 12:03:55 PM »
I didn't think of that, but the new solenoid wasn't all that expensive (£18 for OEM) and I don't have any dies anyway.  That said, I will probably hang onto the old one as a spare and tap a new thread onto it at some point in the future.