90 Chassis Change - jobs only a garage should do!

· 91 · 33786

Dave T

90 Chassis Change - jobs only a garage should do!
« on: March 02, 2012, 04:40:52 PM »
This is what prompted me to change my chassis, found after it just "didn't feel quite right" at the GRR a couple of weeks ago

Well thats me got my nice shiney new chassis now from the Land Rover Heaven of Marsland Chassis, it really is nice and shiney!  8) 8)

Started the strip today, I'm only working weekends initially to get it apart before taking a week in April to hopefully get it all back together.

Today was just a couple of hours this afternoon after work, put my normal wheels on (it lowers it a bit so hopefullly easier all round) and removed most of the external bits, winch, bumper, steering guard, spare wheel carrier, and Nato hitch, its amazing how long it takes to undo big mucky bolts!

Tomorrow will probably be washing the muck off as best possible (I'm going to be doing it on my neighbours drive so don't want to upset him too much) and getting rid of the radio, CB etc from inside.

Plan is to get it to a position where I can change the timing belt next weekend and then make sure it still runs before removing the engine, that way I'll know that if it doesn't run the timing belt is ok, well it makes sense to me anyway.  :D :D

I will be asking lots of questions of our resident experts on here as we go through, the first is, my Marsland chassis has a TD5 rear cross member, it differs to the 300tdi one in that the holes for the Nato hitch don't go right through but have captive bolts on the other side of a single sheet of steel, is it ok to attach a Nato hitch to here, just for recovery not towing, or how else should it be attached?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 06:36:43 PM by Dave T »
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

georgew

Re: 90 Chassis Change - my story so far
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 05:29:38 PM »
Have fun with it.
 ;) Maybe get in some drinks, cold ones, some hot stuff & a good few nibbles and hold a party for some LR enthusiasts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoeif1eQ55E7feature-players_embedded

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

mac90

• Name: Alasdair MacDonald
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 06:08:01 PM »
That chassis looks great, looking forward to reading about it ;D. Let me know if you need any help? I will need to do the same soon i think.
Best of luck.

Alasdair
Land Rover 90 1989 300tdi (sold)
Range Rover P38  1997 4.6HSE

Alan Mc

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 07:17:08 PM »
Looks really good.  Pls take time to keep us updated - I for one keen to hear how you get on as at some point I'd like to do the same (OK, I actually need to buy a motor first!).  Good luck with the project.  Alan.

StephenO

• Name: Stephen O'#039#039Rourke
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 09:23:42 PM »
Good Luck Dave, I'll try and get over soon!
2007 Defender Puma Tonga Green
2016 RR Sport Autobiography Corris Grey
2005 Discovery 3 Zambezi Silver
1995 Defender 90 Coniston Green
1968 Series 2A Bronze Green - Project

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 09:26:26 PM »
Bit of filler, It'll be fine.    :-)
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Dave T

Re: 90 Chassis Change - Day 2
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 03:57:44 PM »
A whole bucket load of filler for the bulkhead please!

Thats the end of day 2, quite a lot achieved although not necessarily to look at.

Interior has been virtually stripped today, radio & CB out and all the rest of the rubbish you keep in there. Dash is virtually removed now, that was a real pain, this is going to be a long job putting it back together. Once through to the bulkhead we have found a couple of holes on the drivers side, passenger side looks not to bad so far. Lucky I know a very good welder, this may keep him busy for a while!  :D

A lot of the day has also been spent getting nuts and bolts loose, because I want to do valves and timing belt with it intact we have taken it down to 2 bolts on a couple of threads so once ready then it should be very quick to get apart.

Tomorrow will be spent doing valve clearances now I can reach everything and preparing for timing belt which will be next weekend.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 05:39:03 PM »
A whole bucket load of filler for the bulkhead please!.

OK, some filler and scrumfled up newspaper to bulk it out then. :-)

...Seriously, well done Dave, thats a big job to tackle - especially on a neighbours drive !

Cheers,
Gene
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 08:31:08 PM »
TD5 rear cross memeber? - Are the tabs removable to attach the rear tub or is it just the captive bolts you got Dave?
My advice, give up the hours of labour trying to free off stuck bolts, get out the angle grinder with thin disks. Replace with new. I spent ages trying to save nuts & bolts. I didn't use any of them on the re-build.
Keep the photo's and info coming, i'm liking the brown parcel tags. This is great research for a large number of us. I still can't find that oil seal for you.
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

Dave T

Re: 90 Chassis Change - Day 3
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 05:00:53 PM »
No photos today as visibly not a lot has changed. Started off doing my valve clearances as it was such a pain to reach with the winch bumper on, all were slightly tight apart from one which was well loose, so all sorted there now.

From there went on with labelling wires and getting them all away from the body around the back end, its amazing how much time that took up, but should pay dividends on the rebuild.

Also today carried on removing bolts, so tunnel is now out, floor panel all loose, seatbox is ready to remove, inner plastic wheel arches removed and excavated half of Drumclog to find the bolts that hold the wings to the bulkhead. 

The real pain today was caused by a couple of bolts on top of the main cross member in front of the rear wheels. There is no room to see what you are doing or to see why on earth they are there but what a pain. I think I have now managed to gring enough away, will see when we try and remove the tub.

Next job is timing belt and then full steam ahead continuing to get it all stripped down. For anyone else doing this it could be a little easier and quicker but being my first I just want to make sure it runs after the timing belt is done so that if it doesn't on the rebuild I know that is not a source of a problem.

Next update will be next weekend.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

corvettedave

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 05:13:49 PM »
Good work, sounds like good fun

dave

StephenO

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 08:51:28 PM »
Your a brave man!

Dave T

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 05:18:31 PM »
Shiny bits started arriving today, 1 inch spacers, I don't want a huge lift, should be just enough.  More arriving tomorrow as well hopefully  ;D ;D

1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

StephenO

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 07:37:38 PM »
I'll be round about 530pm Dave with a couple of boxes of goodies!

Dave T

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 08:32:47 PM »
You know we need to sneak them in!!!!  :o :o
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite