FS:Land rover defender 110 TITHONUS, ex-military

· 2 · 5746

swinny

FS:Land rover defender 110 TITHONUS, ex-military
« on: November 12, 2012, 07:26:11 PM »
A recently fully refurbished (by the military) 110 defender FFR (fitted for radio)
The MOD called the life extension project for in service landrovers, PROJECT TITHONUS and the idea was to extend the service life from 20 to 30 years. They did this by selecting the very best 110s available (no 90 models were considered for the project) and basically rebuilding them from the chassis up! at an average cost of £9000 (Some were rumoured to have cost £12000)
This consisted of:-

Body off, inspect and replace damaged panels full bare metal respray (this recieved new doors, bonnet, wings and rear tub!)
New engine and gearbox
chassis strip and re-preservation
new wolf wheels and tyres
sound proofing throughout
new exmoor trim seats front and rear with inertia seat belts
internal rollcage extending externally for driver and passenger protection
composite fibre hard top
rear tub strengthener sections to protect rear passengers
new brakes and suspension
chequer plate to bonnet and wing tops and also to the modesty covers
this one has also had a new fuel tank

After spending the tax payers hard earned, what did the MOD do with these as new defenders? sold them on!!!

As you can see its basically a new truck, but is exportable because believe it or not this 110 is a 1985 example!!

It also retains the 24V battery locker and radio operators seat as well as the 90 amp 24V alternator (i also have two 24V radio batterys) so this truck could easily be returned to operational spec.

So why is it for sale? well i have managed to acquire a defender 90, WOLF,  so my loss could be your gain.

I am looking for and have it advertised for £6495, that is a bargain!

enjoy the SNOW and ICE this year.
jon

swinny

Re: FS:Land rover defender 110 TITHONUS, ex-military
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 07:01:22 PM »
just had full service :)