Drumclog

· 12 · 4487

BigPaul

• Name: BigP
Drumclog
« on: January 22, 2013, 08:33:01 PM »
I'm looking for some information on Drumclog.  I've been once mainly spectating as I was on road tyres.  I'm now better equipped in that area but wondered if anyone has detailed knowledge of the site.  Due to illness & disability I'm unable to take part in heavy mud outings; I'm not looking to get stuck up to my axles in mud but, I do want to drive around off road.

Does anyone on here have any ideas?  Advertising seems to point out that it's suitable for all 4x4's including "shineys" so I'm presuming there must be something to keep me occupied for a few hours :)

Thanks in advance.

Paul

StephenO

• Name: Stephen O'#039#039Rourke
Re: Drumclog
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 09:19:19 PM »
Paul,

I wouldn't say it was suitable for all shiny's unless you have deep pockets but there is some crackin bits to get you started.

I'm not sure when the next outing is at Drumclog but if its just off roading you want then you should come along to one of the Tyros or RTV (this Sunday)?

Stephen
2007 Defender Puma Tonga Green
2016 RR Sport Autobiography Corris Grey
2005 Discovery 3 Zambezi Silver
1995 Defender 90 Coniston Green
1968 Series 2A Bronze Green - Project

Black Sheep

• "should have bought a 90"
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 09:55:46 PM »
Im not sure where your based but i think Lamancha is more suitable for shineys. It still has some difficult sections but not as many as Drumclog. I think your limited at Drumclog in what you can do in my opinion. As mentioned get along to a tyro or maybe a RTV and have fun :)

BigPaul

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 10:10:31 PM »
Thanks for replies, based in Ayrshire.

P

coolcamper55

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 10:50:11 PM »
Paul, I have a shiney and am continually ribbed about it. I have had the 110 over Drumclog quite a few times and apart from the Valley of Death as they call it (up by the pipe) I go anywhere else on the site.

maybe I have been lucky but the only "injury" was a nick in the wire to the ABS sensor from a stone being flicked up.

The secret on this site and any other for that matter is to go with folks who know the site and who know how to drive the various sections that challenge you. With the right kit you will be extracted from the mud.

There is also a site at Shandon over by Helensburgh that has a good selection of tracks.

Tommy

BigPaul

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 08:47:24 AM »
Thanks for replies guys.  Misunderstanding though, it's not a shiney ::). It's Disco 300 tdi auto.  It's not a fear of slight damage, that goes with the territory.  The issue is my lack of mobility & inability to take part in recovery.

P

kevin18050

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 10:48:26 AM »
hi mate anytime i've been stuck at the clog there's been helping hands to get me out usually before i'm even out the motor lol i wouldn't worry about getting stuck because you will ! just choose you company wisely  ;D i for one would never grumble about helping you out thats all part of the fun for me  ;)

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 04:56:30 PM »
Having been a number of times, I would say don't go alone. There is plenty of ground to playon avoiding the big hills, ruts, deep water. But even on this you can get into difficulty.  Keep an eye on the forum, I'm sure the west coast boys will be out to play soon.  ;)
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

BigPaul

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 05:56:52 PM »
Thanks again for replies :)  returning back to 4x4's after 20 year absence things have changed a bit :o.  There seems to be an obsession with mud, getting stuck in it & then winching back out.  I'm obviously in the minority in that I like to drive over the rough ground & NOT get stuck in it ::)

Anyway, hope to catch up with some of you soon.

P

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
  • Name: Stuart Clink
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 06:50:26 PM »
  There seems to be an obsession with mud, getting stuck in it & then winching back out.

Not with everyone. 

Just don't go alone though no matter what you "intend".  It is a long, sad walk back to the farm to try to find someone to bring out a tractor.
Navigator          GM1VBE

kevin18050

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 09:41:55 AM »
  There seems to be an obsession with mud, getting stuck in it & then winching back out.

Not with everyone. 

Just don't go alone though no matter what you "intend".  It is a long, sad walk back to the farm to try to find someone to bring out a tractor.
some people know more about that than others  ;)

Ginger_TD5

• Name: Gordon McNair
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 09:28:50 AM »
Hi Paul,

I can also suggest that you keep an eye on the forum for "Green Road Runs" that the club organise and driving days as these are great events to get back into off road driving.

Gordon